need help drawing flower petals (lesson 3)

7:41 PM, Wednesday July 8th 2020

Hello. ive been going back and re-trying some of the lessons i have already finished. one of them being lesson 3 (plants) Im having trouble drawing petals, specifically hibiscus petals. It seems im drawing them super flat and i dont know how or if theres a good approach to drawing/practicing such big petals forshortened? any advice would be great thanks for the help :^)

http://imgur.com/a/Pz4vGUw

(example of what i mean)

0 users agree
4:48 PM, Thursday July 9th 2020

Hi, I just started lesson 3 so my approach may not be great! But here is my attempt -

https://imgur.com/a/iG1yLyB

What I see from your reference photo is a "drop" at the center of the hibiscus flower. So when I drew the flow of the petals, I tried to capture that sense of depth. It seems less flat by doing so.

As you said, these are big petals forshortened, especially the 2 in the front. I would draw those two in the front much more distorted. To me, yours look like triangular shapes. The reference photo look more like half circles with the other half bent underneath, so it is not visible in picture - which also means a drastic change in direction of the flow that creates a depth.

I am curious what others in the community think!

1:29 AM, Wednesday July 15th 2020

ohhh i see what u mean! yeah i dont know lol.... mabye my observation skills are off i just cant seem to draw the right shape no matter what i do. perhaps drawing longer flow lines(?) might help me out. thanks for the demo!!

0 users agree
11:18 PM, Tuesday July 14th 2020

I see you can work on digital. It's a good observation tool because you can trace over the image, before doing your attempt on the page. After you can compare the trace overs with your attempt. That solidifies your observation skills. I see in your picture that you could learn from this method.

1:29 AM, Wednesday July 15th 2020

thanks thats a good idea ill try it from now on :)

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
How to Draw by Scott Robertson

How to Draw by Scott Robertson

When it comes to technical drawing, there's no one better than Scott Robertson. I regularly use this book as a reference when eyeballing my perspective just won't cut it anymore. Need to figure out exactly how to rotate an object in 3D space? How to project a shape in perspective? Look no further.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.