Lesson 1: Lines, Ellipses and Boxes

8:44 PM, Tuesday May 12th 2020

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/0JwzcyE.jpg

Post with 18 views.

What do I do from here? I'm thinking of finishing up the few remaining lessons after boxes ie) foreshortening and etc. then do the challenges. Do i move on after finishing those? Will the process of completing a lesson be the same till lesson 7? Thank you for looking at my work and critique is always welcomed!

3 users agree
11:01 AM, Wednesday May 13th 2020

It is visible that you practiced a lot and gained some confidence in your lines. On the other hand I would recommend you to redo the funnel exercise, the ellipses on that page almost always have the same degree, which should be grow or dicrease in the inside and outside of the funnel.

And on the rough perspective exercise I would only draw the red line to touch the vertical line to the vanishing point.

2:19 AM, Sunday May 17th 2020

Hello, could you restate what I need to do with the funnel exercise I'm not sure I understand, and are you saying that I need to also redo rough perspective?

Thank you for the critique!

10:59 AM, Monday May 18th 2020

Hey,

I think the rough perspective was good, it was meant to be hard execise.

And about the funnels, I meant to draw the ellipses with gradually growing degrees. So the width of the ellipse widens as you draw them closer to the opening ends. It is helps you to practice drawing the ellipses and in the same time understanding the width and depth of the funnel by drawing the ellipses gradually increased degree.

If you have more question I am happy to help, but maybe my way of commenting not as clear as I think, ask more opinions and watch the tutorials again to clarify.

3:45 AM, Wednesday May 20th 2020

Yes, of course. I will try to redo the funnel exercise in order to match the requirements this time.

2 users agree
3:54 PM, Thursday May 28th 2020

Since you have finished these lessons, I would reccomend that you do a few of them over as a warm up exercise each time you sit down to draw. This will keep you skills fresh because you will not improve or maintain your gains if you do not continue practicing and stay consistent with it.

Next Steps:

Please redo the funnel exercises because I would agree with the other students critiques about this. Just review this exercise before you go ahead and start with the 250 box challenge. It is a lot of work but you will greatly improve your skills if you complete it. Good luck, keep up the good work and keep drawing!

When finished, reply to this critique with your revisions.
6:39 PM, Friday May 29th 2020
3:16 PM, Saturday May 30th 2020

Start on the 250 box challenge. I recomend doing a few pages of ellipses as a warm up before your drawing session each time, or at least I have found it helpful

Next Steps:

Stay consistent with your practicing, do warmups before your drawing sessions to maintain & build skill, and good luck on the 250 box challenge!

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete, and 2 others agree. The student has earned their completion badge for this lesson and should feel confident in moving onto the next lesson.
9:08 PM, Saturday May 30th 2020

Thank you for the critique!

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Staedtler Pigment Liners

Staedtler Pigment Liners

These are what I use when doing these exercises. They usually run somewhere in the middle of the price/quality range, and are often sold in sets of different line weights - remember that for the Drawabox lessons, we only really use the 0.5s, so try and find sets that sell only one size.

Alternatively, if at all possible, going to an art supply store and buying the pens in person is often better because they'll generally sell them individually and allow you to test them out before you buy (to weed out any duds).

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.