I've nearly finished the 250 box challenge with no warm ups *facepalm*

5:57 PM, Thursday July 30th 2020

Damn, I've completely bypassed any information (I've obviously read through too quickly) on the subject of warm up exercises. Is it possible for one of you kind people to send me a link to the info about this please?

Thank you for your time :)

Gem

1 users agree
9:49 PM, Thursday July 30th 2020

Here you go. It's in Lesson 0. May be worth reading over again to make sure you didn't miss any other crucial instructions. :) https://drawabox.com/lesson/0/4/grinding

12:04 AM, Friday July 31st 2020
edited at 12:05 AM, Jul 31st 2020

Ah brilliant! Thank you so much! Yes, I'll definitely reread lesson 0 - I'm sure it will be benificial :)

Gem

edited at 12:05 AM, Jul 31st 2020
1 users agree
12:32 PM, Friday July 31st 2020

Hi,

This is the only information there is I think : https://drawabox.com/lesson/0/4/grinding (bottom 2 paragraphs).

Personally I often do ellipses in planes, ellipses in tables, super imposed lines, boxes and as I progress, organic forms and arrows (you will see in lesson 2).

Have fun!

4:25 PM, Friday July 31st 2020

ah, excellent! Thank you for the tips too :)

Gem

0 users agree
10:54 PM, Friday July 31st 2020

Hi :) i do a full plane of this exercise before drawing the boxes for the challenge :) i would recommend to be awareness on ghosting your lines during the warmup.

10:32 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

Hi, thank you for the useful tips :) it's always good to see what others do. Totally with you on the ghosting!

Gem

0 users agree
5:57 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

I totally did the same thing! D'oh!

Doing the exercises first now, (I'm into lesson 2) helps me stay focused instead of just letting my mind wander while I "just get the stuff done," which I have a habit of doing.

10:36 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

Hi :) oh no, not you too! I totally get what you mean about "just get the stuff done" haha! It's good that you've identified this as a potential issue though, good luck on your DAB journey and thanks for the message :)

Gem

0 users agree
8:21 PM, Sunday August 2nd 2020

Hi Gem,

is this what you are searching for...?

Once I'm done with a lesson, should I ever do these exercises again, or am I done forever?

Ha! No way. You're stuck with these things forever. For lessons 1 and 2, once you're done with a lesson, the exercises from it should be added to a pool. Every time you sit down for a drawing session, pick two or three exercises from that pool and do them for 10-15 minutes. This way you'll continue to develop those technical skills, improving your ability to draw smooth and flowing lines, to construct solid boxes, to reinforce the illusion of volume with contour lines, to wrap your head around how forms interact with each other in 3D space, and so on. These are the base level skills, but they're also the skills that will have the greatest impact on your overall ability to draw. Practicing drawing kangaroos will get you really good at kangaroos - practicing your use of the ghosting method to draw smooth, confident lines will improve everything.

...even when lessons 1 and 2 are complete, I still insist that students continue practicing those exercises regularly as warmups. This is because we never truly attain mastery over these basic skills, and with disuse they can get rusty. We need to work towards continually sharpening, and ultimately keeping them sharp.

Both quotes can be found on FAQ pages: https://drawabox.com/FAQ

By the way, I think warmups are not a prerequiste for 250 Box Challenge. From my point of view 250 box challenge is a very very long warm up on it's own. But maybe that's something which can be seen different by different persons.

Hope that helps you on your journey.

Best,

Neuromancer

11:55 AM, Monday August 3rd 2020

Hi :) Yep that's what I was looking for, thanks! Good point regarding the warm ups and the 250 box challenge, although I do feel that once I've left it for even a day that the first few boxes arn't quite as good as I'd left off. So moving on with the last 50 I'm going to do a bit of practice before, but not go overboard. Thank you for your message, very helpful, it's always good to hear other people's opinions/practice :)

Gem

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
How to Draw by Scott Robertson

How to Draw by Scott Robertson

When it comes to technical drawing, there's no one better than Scott Robertson. I regularly use this book as a reference when eyeballing my perspective just won't cut it anymore. Need to figure out exactly how to rotate an object in 3D space? How to project a shape in perspective? Look no further.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.