Lesson 7: Applying Construction to Vehicles

1:23 PM, Saturday November 21st 2020

Drawabox lesson 7 : vehicules - Album on Imgur

Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/YoMCdCt

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered enterta...

Hi!

Thank you for Drawabox and the thorough critiques, I have been drawing things I didn't think I could!

Since I would be learning 100% of my art online, I would like to know what are the other fundamentals (except from perspective) in your view and which resource you would recommend for each of them... I saw already that you recommended Proko for anatomy (which I am now using), and James Gurney's book for Color and light. I tried CTRL+Paint but I found that he went too slowly sometimes, then made too big of a jump between two courses which was a bit frustrating. Is there anything else?

Thank you for everything!!

0 users agree
9:01 PM, Monday November 23rd 2020

Unfortunately you've listed the main resources I'm familiar with, though I have heard people on the discord server talk about Brent Eviston's skillshare courses with a lot of positive things to say. I haven't looked into it myself though.

Now, I am actually going to be cancelling this submission and refunding the credits you spent on it. Reason being, it is not complete. It is one thing to have issues with applying the concepts covered in the lesson - that's normal, and that's the kind of thing we identify in the critique, and send off for revisions if they're necessary. But throughout your vehicle constructions, you regularly stopped way too early, and only explored the most general forms present. For the cases where you pushed things a little farther, it was usually by skipping important steps and not subdividing your construction enough to help position particular forms in a specific manner.

While I don't expect your drawings to match those from the demonstrations, I do expect to see a clear effort being made to actually break your construction down to that level, and to put the time in required to do this for each of the vehicle constructions. For context, that drawing took me several hours. I expect each of yours to take even longer.

Your drawing isn't finished when the drawing session or the day is over. A single drawing can certainly span over several days - however long you need to execute it to the best of your current ability. So stopping at some arbitrary point with basic construction only is not adequate for this lesson.

If you're interested in seeing how other students completed this lesson, you can see their work here (it's filtered down to just show those who submitted for official critique). I especially recommend taking a look at LordNed's submission - his last two cars really show just how far the principles of this lesson can be pushed.

So, as I said - I'm refunding the two credits you spent here, so when you have properly completed all of your vehicle constructions, you can submit again. I will however say that your jetski was fairly well done. Didn't dive into too much detail, but you've captured all of the important forms, far moreso than you did with your other vehicles.

1:46 AM, Tuesday November 24th 2020

Thank you!

12:42 AM, Friday December 4th 2020

I'm here just to second Brent Eviston's courses. I've done Art & Science of Drawing and I'm doing his Gesture Drawing course now. He breaks everything into digestible bits and exercises build on top of each other without jumping steps. If you have an interest in composition, I'm having a blast doing the exercises on Arthur Dow's composition book. It's old (and free) but the principles are timeless and the sequence of exercices really help building a sense for composition and thumbnailing. Better than the other resources I found online.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Drawabox-Tested Fineliners (Pack of 10, $17.50 USD)

Drawabox-Tested Fineliners (Pack of 10, $17.50 USD)

Let's be real here for a second: fineliners can get pricey. It varies from brand to brand, store to store, and country to country, but good fineliners like the Staedtler Pigment Liner (my personal brand favourite) can cost an arm and a leg. I remember finding them being sold individually at a Michael's for $4-$5 each. That's highway robbery right there.

Now, we're not a big company ourselves or anything, but we have been in a position to periodically import large batches of pens that we've sourced ourselves - using the wholesale route to keep costs down, and then to split the savings between getting pens to you for cheaper, and setting some aside to one day produce our own.

These pens are each hand-tested (on a little card we include in the package) to avoid sending out any duds (another problem with pens sold in stores). We also checked out a handful of different options before settling on this supplier - mainly looking for pens that were as close to the Staedtler Pigment Liner. If I'm being honest, I think these might even perform a little better, at least for our use case in this course.

We've also tested their longevity. We've found that if we're reasonably gentle with them, we can get through all of Lesson 1, and halfway through the box challenge. We actually had ScyllaStew test them while recording realtime videos of her working through the lesson work, which you can check out here, along with a variety of reviews of other brands.

Now, I will say this - we're only really in a position to make this an attractive offer for those in the continental United States (where we can offer shipping for free). We do ship internationally, but between the shipping prices and shipping times, it's probably not the best offer you can find - though this may depend. We also straight up can't ship to the UK, thanks to some fairly new restrictions they've put into place relating to their Brexit transition. I know that's a bummer - I'm Canadian myself - but hopefully one day we can expand things more meaningfully to the rest of the world.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.