So, can we do our own cast shadows? - Lesson 2 - Texture and detail

3:03 AM, Wednesday April 6th 2022

So i was lucky enough that before doing my texture and detail exercises i saw the new info that was written in the main page for texture and detail, but honestly it has confused me even more.

It is told to us, that we don't need to copy our references but rather understand them.

Says that the majority of the student were only copying the reference or cast shadows of the reference, and that they rather need to Observe, Understand and Transfer the reference. One of the last parts says:

The cast shadow you draw may be present in the reference image, or it may not. It may also be present, but different - because the reference is subject to one lighting scenario, while your drawing may have another - for example, with the gradients the light source is always at the far right, blasting away the cast shadows closest to it to create that transition in density.

So with this in mind, when we analyze our reference and then place a few marks on our page, can we place them in whatever place and position we want as long as we understand how the cast shadows in the reference behaves?.

Like, as the way i understand it, we look a our reference, understand how the cast shadows of the reference behave, and then place our shadows depending on our own "setting" (like having a different light position).

So basically, can we put our own cast shadows in whatever place and position as long as we understand how the forms casting the shadow work in our reference?

0 users agree
4:55 PM, Wednesday April 6th 2022

That's correct. The cast shadows you draw are based on what you've gleaned about the form in question's three dimensional nature, its relationships with the surfaces around it, and where you intend for your light source to actually be situated in the drawing you're doing. The key point is that the lighting is not necessarily the same as your reference, and so we can't simply copy the shadows directly.

10:22 PM, Wednesday April 6th 2022

Interesting, this definitely changes how i'm going to approach my references. Honestly the new info its soo good because i was going to approach this exercise in the wrong way.

Thanks for the clarification!

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
The Art of Brom

The Art of Brom

Here we're getting into the subjective - Gerald Brom is one of my favourite artists (and a pretty fantastic novelist!). That said, if I recommended art books just for the beautiful images contained therein, my list of recommendations would be miles long.

The reason this book is close to my heart is because of its introduction, where Brom goes explains in detail just how he went from being an army brat to one of the most highly respected dark fantasy artists in the world today. I believe that one's work is flavoured by their life's experiences, and discovering the roots from which other artists hail can help give one perspective on their own beginnings, and perhaps their eventual destination as well.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.