Lesson 3: Applying Construction to Plants

5:16 AM, Wednesday June 16th 2021

Lesson 3 - Google Drive

Lesson 3 - Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1B1MpF5htJEskdEn9yR9rYEQvsZNn7O85

I finished Drawabox lesson 3! It was fun to follow along Uncomfortable's drawing demos and being able to apply the principles and concepts presented in them, can't help but celebrate on my own for all the work I have done so far on Drawabox and outside of it (50% rule and other courses).

I mostly aced things like:

1. Construction

2. And looking at my references

I did face many difficulties like:

1. Unable to wrap my head around flat forms (like leaves) flowing through space mostly when they start bending

2. Unable to make a confident flowing branch

3. My line confidence just disappearing in some of my homework

4. Forgetting or straight up ignoring things that Uncomfortable really want you to follow and do

5. And being really impatient when came to details

Other Notes:

From time to time you will notice my pen running out of ink, sadly during some Drawabox sessions I didn't have a decent pen on me, fineliners are really expensive and I'm eating them all up considering I was doing lesson 3 alongside the 25 texture challenge.

I have a lot of plant drawings here the actual submissions are the first 8 you will come across, the other 6 (the ones we follow along in the Drawabox page) are only there to help give more context to my ability of constructing plants with volume compared to my plants like flowers and leaves.

I gone through the extra work of drawing more plants because my family has a garden and I honestly really wanted to construct the plants we have, not really to impress my family (they're not super interested with the stuff I do in Drawabox) but honestly to develop a better eye for references because my mind kept looking at the plants and I can't help but see through them, it makes a huge difference looking at the actual thing than photo references. If you want to compare my drawings to the references here is the link to the pictures I took of them (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1t078hWUSPiFA3kVAWIUX2GoxNqgxtQ35).

Thank you in advance for taking the time to check out my work and critiquing it. The Drawabox community is definitely one of the best art communities out there.

2 users agree
8:35 AM, Friday June 18th 2021

While reading through your description I could really relate cause I struggle with almost all those things as well haha.

I think your plants are very clear and read easily. Except for the second one, none of them feel cluttered at all so good job. (and the second one isn't even bad, just busy).

As someone who still stuggles with line confidence myself the best advice I have is: before you start a drawing, give yourself a goal. Goals are great to have because they give the drawing purpose and it's easier to know if you failed or succeeded. So maybe before drawing some plants you set out with the primary goal of having line confidence and moving the pen with your entire shoulder. Watching Uncomfortable draw and the pace in which he puts out his lines in the videos from lesson 1 really helped me get a better grasp as well.

I feel the shadows can sometimes be really confusing, especially if they're cast on an object that's a bit further away. In the same drawing some shadows say that the light source is straight above and some say the light source is above and to the right. The shadows don't always follow the form of the object it's on either or look like the shape that's casting the shadow. But it's very hard and I think for this reason Uncomfortable only really draws shadows on forms that are close to each other, they're not really meant to convey accurate light and shadow, but rather to make a clear drawing and seperate forms from each other.

But ultimately I think your end product is very impressive and you plants look great. I think you picked a good variety of plants but still managed to excute it. I especially love the flower with the thorns. Very cute.

Hope this helps. :D

Next Steps:

Set out a primary goal of better line confidence in some of your future practice. And although not talked about in my critique if you struggle with leaves and branches I would recommend doing leaf, arrow and branch practices as warm ups. They can also help you with line confidence as well I feel.

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete, and 2 others agree. The student has earned their completion badge for this lesson and should feel confident in moving onto the next lesson.
3:43 AM, Saturday June 19th 2021

YES! GOALS!

I'll definitely do that, considering my goals at the beginning of the lesson were very shallow honestly. The goal was just to finish the lesson... Sure overtime that changed but now that you mentioned it I think I want to push the idea of setting goals even further. Warm-ups is basically in my DNA now haha. Details and shadows I'm working on it, been rereading a lot of lesson 2 to do my best on the 25 texture challenge. Thank you so much for critique, have a nice day!

7:26 AM, Saturday June 19th 2021

Heck yeah! You're welcome!

If you have time and want, it'd be super great if you could critique my homework for lesson 2 or 3. If not that's totally fine, I won't mind.

Good luck with your future goals. Have a great day as well! :D

2:38 PM, Monday June 21st 2021

Sure dude, I'll try to find some time.

Thanks for the good luck!

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Drawabox-Tested Fineliners (Pack of 10, $17.50 USD)

Drawabox-Tested Fineliners (Pack of 10, $17.50 USD)

Let's be real here for a second: fineliners can get pricey. It varies from brand to brand, store to store, and country to country, but good fineliners like the Staedtler Pigment Liner (my personal brand favourite) can cost an arm and a leg. I remember finding them being sold individually at a Michael's for $4-$5 each. That's highway robbery right there.

Now, we're not a big company ourselves or anything, but we have been in a position to periodically import large batches of pens that we've sourced ourselves - using the wholesale route to keep costs down, and then to split the savings between getting pens to you for cheaper, and setting some aside to one day produce our own.

These pens are each hand-tested (on a little card we include in the package) to avoid sending out any duds (another problem with pens sold in stores). We also checked out a handful of different options before settling on this supplier - mainly looking for pens that were as close to the Staedtler Pigment Liner. If I'm being honest, I think these might even perform a little better, at least for our use case in this course.

We've also tested their longevity. We've found that if we're reasonably gentle with them, we can get through all of Lesson 1, and halfway through the box challenge. We actually had ScyllaStew test them while recording realtime videos of her working through the lesson work, which you can check out here, along with a variety of reviews of other brands.

Now, I will say this - we're only really in a position to make this an attractive offer for those in the continental United States (where we can offer shipping for free). We do ship internationally, but between the shipping prices and shipping times, it's probably not the best offer you can find - though this may depend. We also straight up can't ship to the UK, thanks to some fairly new restrictions they've put into place relating to their Brexit transition. I know that's a bummer - I'm Canadian myself - but hopefully one day we can expand things more meaningfully to the rest of the world.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.