2 users agree
7:55 PM, Monday February 21st 2022

Congratulations on finishing lesson 1!

Let's take a look at your progress:

Overlapping Lines

OK so you have the basics of the exercise down, but by the general wobbliness of the lines and lack of fraying at the far end of each one it appears you're going just a tad bit slow. Speed up and keep the flow going!

Ghosted Lines

Your lines are very precise, but again we're still seeing that wobbling. Instead of slowing down to a stop on the mark, make sure you draw past it and lift up your pen when it's about to connect. You're going to end up missing or overshooting at times, but that's not what we're worried about at this stage. Try to draw some longer lines as well and see how that turns out for you! You can always hone that flow in your warmups later.

Ghosted Planes with Ellipses

Now there seems to be a marginal improvement between these sheets and the Ghosted Lines exercise you did previously. If you apply the suggestions suggested above then you should continue to see that improvement here as well. Your ellipses are very tight but I still notice that wobble! It's very important that you go at the right speed for your mind and body.

Tables of Ellipses

Some very tight ellipses with a lot of variation with their pattern and how they're applied. No problems here!

Funnels

You seem to have some aptitude for ellipses, but the way they're applied to this exercise is suspect. Remember that the degree is supposed to increase the further away they are from the center, wheras here they're very similar. A little bit of extra planning and forethought could go a long way in terms of making that change in degree more noticable.

Plotted Perspective

You've understood the point of this exercise well, though the scale and placement of boxes is very similar. You could have done with just a bit more variation here.

Rough Perspective

This was really rough, but you understood that you needed to plot along the lines of your box and not just towards the vanishing point. If you were to attempt this again, I'd focus on not only keeping the lines of your front and back planes level, but also increasing the foreshortening, since it's greater than you think.

Rotated Boxes

You actually submitted two attempts at this, which is understandable given what's happening with the first one. Something I've seen help other students is to imagine the boxes form a sphere, that way it'll end up looking less stiff and you'll remember to mentally place differing vanishing points for each one. Your second attempt was much closer, but watch out for that lack of symmetry!

Organic Perspective

This one got better with time, but you need to pay attention to how much foreshortening is applied to each one! It should increase the further forward the box is towards the viewer.

Next Steps:

Incorporate these lessons into your warmup routine and move onto the 250 box challenge.

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete, and 2 others agree. The student has earned their completion badge for this lesson and should feel confident in moving onto the next lesson.
8:18 PM, Monday February 21st 2022

Thank so much for taking the time out of your day to critique my homework! In regards to my very first page, I forgot to mention I actually flipped the page over AFTER I'd already written the date, unfortunately. I'm left-handed and the notebook rings were interfering with the work. And as for the rotated boxes, I mis-remembered the instructions and thought I had to do two pages of those. I definitely did understand better by the second page though.

Again, thanks. I'll try to increase my speed and remember to lift the pen from the page, since I'd totally forgotten about that.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Cottonwood Arts Sketchbooks

Cottonwood Arts Sketchbooks

These are my favourite sketchbooks, hands down. Move aside Moleskine, you overpriced gimmick. These sketchbooks are made by entertainment industry professionals down in Los Angeles, with concept artists in mind. They have a wide variety of sketchbooks, such as toned sketchbooks that let you work both towards light and towards dark values, as well as books where every second sheet is a semitransparent vellum.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.