250 Box Challenge

12:23 AM, Sunday June 19th 2022

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/pDygG6L.jpg

Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of th...

The previously completed challenge. The most recent one is in purple fine-liner, not black.

1 users agree
10:05 AM, Saturday June 25th 2022

Hi there,

congratulations on finishing the 250-Box-Challenge (again :) and thanks for submitting, I'll be reviewing your homework. I'm not part of uncomfortable's staff, but I hope my feedback still helps you.

Your work reveals that you had put a lot of focus, energy and time in completing the challenge. Your work came out beautiful, well done!

I structured this critique as follows:

the praises (what you did well) and where you went off and should keep an eye on in the future. In the end I'll give some general pointers/reminders, so you don't forget them.

THE PRAISES ( The job you did well in the challenge)

You always drew through your forms and understand how they sit in 3D. Nicely done

You did a great job checking for your mistakes by checking the boxes convergences by extending the lines always from the viewer. You even identified where it went wrong and clarified it with arrows and worked on it.

You are able to construct the boxes of various types with different orientation, proportion and foreshadowing with good amounts of convergences. So hats off for that!

I can say that you are building a sense of confidence and patience in drawing your boxes by plotting down the starting and end points of the lines before executing, so thats good job!

If you are concerned about accuracy, I will advise you to leave it there for some time and prioritize confidence first. After we build some confidence, we can work on some accuracy as well. We prioritize confidence and draw lines from our shoulder without thinking about any accuracy there. Our lines will look solid and more appealing, even though they are in inaccurate. Also don't repeat inaccurate lines and try to correct them. It just wastes time where you don't learn anything.

You hatched the face of the box facing towards the viewer. You took you time doing so and ghosted them thoroughly. Same goes for adding line weight around the silouehette, especially in the end. Well done.

WHERE IT WENT SLIGHTLY OFF? ( Where you should keep an eye on)

In this part I will just point out where it went slightly off. In the coming part I will explain how to avoid them and how you can improve them. I made this part because it will remind us where we are going wrong and it will thereby make us conscious about our mistakes while drawing those boxes.

Of course you had improved throughout the challenge but there are times where some of the set of lines converges at a faster rates than the others resulting in converging in pairs. this point you can definitely work on, in your warm ups.

According to the rule of perspective, all the parallel lines in the 3D world (real world) will appear to converge to a specific VP (vanishing point) on a 2d page. SSo what we can say is that our parallel lines should always converge as a set and not in pairs. They will never diverge from the VP as this will break the rule of perspective. So next time, instead of drawing parallel lines in the boxes, try to consciously think that the parallel lines in the 3d world of box will always converge to a specific vp. These vps can either be staying inside the page (creating more dramatic/foreshadowed boxes) or outside of it (creating shallow boxes) https://imgur.com/mWLlnYl

It's completely and totally normal to have the back corner line slightly off compared to the rest. You should try and work on those as well. I haven't seen your previous challenge, but they have significantly improved at end of this challenge, so nice job!

In this challenge, we are estimating where our lines going to converge to a point. As we are humans, it is almost impossible to perfectly estimate where our lines will going to converge thereby resulting in an error. This error will continue to accumulate as we construct the box freely rotated in space. Finally this accumulated error will be thrown to the back corner. So its pretty normal to have the inner back corner come out pretty off.

I want to take a look at this info here; https://i.imgur.com/8PqQLE0.png

In this image we can know that how each line will behave relating to the position from its neighbouring edges and the VP. If the distance between the internal edges and external edges gets reduce more and more they will eventually become parallel to one and another. Alternatively if the distance between the internal corner and the external grow more and more the internal line will also converge. You can also try and start from the back corner if the box is narrower. https://imgur.com/a/DHlA3Jh

These diagram can be pretty hard to understand at first, so if you don't understand it, don't get frustrated, keep reading it from time to time while practicing regularly and it will click eventually.

SOME GENERAL STUFF I WISH SOMEONE HAD REMINDED ME BACK THEN

I would highly advise you to include boxes in your warmups and construct 1-2 boxes daily. After some time you will see how your boxes get better and better.

Remember the 50% rule. This challenge takes a lot of time and effort and you'll burn out/lose motivation if you don't do something for yourself as well.

You didn't do this, but I still want to mention this: don't erase wrong lines/draw correct ones over top. If your line is incorrect, mark the correct ending point and draw the rest of your lines correct (you don't learn anything correcting lines, so it just wastes time)

Take your time with the exercises. You'll learn a lot more if you take your time. DaB in general is a marathon and not a sprint. It really helped me to set my goal to "draw x minutes each day" instead of "draw x boxes a day". The amount of boxes you manage during that time will increase the further you get. It also helped me to do DaB at a specific time slot each day.

Make sure to do 5 reviews for every lesson/challenge you upload and get critique on! I know this sounds like a waste of time, but this entire community is built on this review-exchange system. I hope you learn a lot from my critique and you should give the same chance to others.

I have prewritten texts for every lesson and challenge and just go through every point and look if the person did it right or wrong and change the text accordingly. It only takes me 10 minutes max per critique! And you actually learn a lot, because you refresh the knowledge and don't forget certain aspects and I found that I have an easier time spotting my own mistakes in my warmups. So it doesn't only help this community and enables it to be free of charge, but it also helps you.

We all know this challenge was very intimidating. Constructing 250 boxes arbitrarily rotated in 3D is hard and yet you did a great job by keeping persistent till the end with lots of effort, focus, energy and time, well done! Your submission reveals that you did take time to read through the lesson materials, followed the instructions and executed to your best of your ability.

Feel free to move on to lesson 2 and good luck in your artistic journey.

Next Steps:

lesson 2

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete. In order for the student to receive their completion badge, this critique will need 2 agreements from other members of the community.
11:45 AM, Saturday June 25th 2022

Thanks so much for this detailed critique and the tips on how to use DaB and tips in general! I'll definitely be adding 1-2 those boxes into my warmup.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
How to Draw by Scott Robertson

How to Draw by Scott Robertson

When it comes to technical drawing, there's no one better than Scott Robertson. I regularly use this book as a reference when eyeballing my perspective just won't cut it anymore. Need to figure out exactly how to rotate an object in 3D space? How to project a shape in perspective? Look no further.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.