Lesson 3: Applying Construction to Plants

11:43 PM, Saturday July 2nd 2022

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/csSnFnv.jpg

Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of th...

Just finished lesson 3 exercises, any feedback would be greatly appreciated

0 users agree
12:41 PM, Sunday July 3rd 2022

Hello, i’d be handling the critique for your lesson 3

Arrows

Your arrows are done quite well your linework is pretty confident, i just notice that you struggle to put them in perspective a little bit, you don’t push the foreshortening (making the farther end smaller, and the closer end larger) enough when needed

There’s a pinching on your arrows where the overlap happens which makes them quite confusing to look at sometimes and weakens the effect of perspective we’re trying to create, this is caused by your second curve struggling to follow the first one as accurately as it needs to be, remember that your second curve is supposed to be pretty much the same as the first one

The head of your arrows generally looks pretty stiff and flat, try to make it follow the same flow as the rest of your arrow, don’t be afraid to twist and bend it

I see that you have put some line weight on the edges to reinforce the perspective of your arrows so good job on that!

Leaves

Your leaves are flowing through space pretty well and i see that you stick to the construction method when drawing a leaf composed of many different "arms" so props for that

I just think that you didn’t push your "zigzags" enough and that it gives the impression of a wobbly line or a line that has been repeated multiple times

Branches

There are leftovers from your previous segments and you often miss to go over to the next ellipse so be sure to draw using your arm with the ghosting method.

Plants

You really stick to construction here so that’s a good thing!

I notice that you are drawing pretty small. Drawing small makes things harder for us as it limits our ability to think through spatial problems, I would recommend you to take a full page for each plants that you’re drawing

There are places where your lines become quite sloppy. Remember to be patient, to ghost you lines and to take as much time as needed for each line

Your line weight often comes out way too thick. To add line weight you should only go over your lines two or three times with the same 0.5 fineliner pen that you use for your construction. The reason we use line weight is just to show what is sitting in front of what, not to cast any shadows

Next Steps:

move on to lesson 4 !

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete. In order for the student to receive their completion badge, this critique will need 2 agreements from other members of the community.
11:57 PM, Thursday July 14th 2022

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it. I'll try to improve on the mistakes you've pointed out, maybe go over a few exercises again. I think I particularly struggled with the arrows and leaves exercises

About the cast shadows, I only used them because in lesson 2 there was an exercise in which was necessary to so I thought it was fine, I also saw it on the plant drawing demos. But I guess I'll just stick to adding line weight from now on

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
The Art of Blizzard Entertainment

The Art of Blizzard Entertainment

While I have a massive library of non-instructional art books I've collected over the years, there's only a handful that are actually important to me. This is one of them - so much so that I jammed my copy into my overstuffed backpack when flying back from my parents' house just so I could have it at my apartment. My back's been sore for a week.

The reason I hold this book in such high esteem is because of how it puts the relatively new field of game art into perspective, showing how concept art really just started off as crude sketches intended to communicate ideas to storytellers, designers and 3D modelers. How all of this focus on beautiful illustrations is really secondary to the core of a concept artist's job. A real eye-opener.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.