50% Rule... What should I draw

10:37 AM, Thursday February 18th 2021

At first I hope I can make clear what I mean my english isnt the best.

I just started working with Draw a Box and never draw before (except for art class).

Now my problem is the 50% Rule, because I dont really know what I want to draw and my mind is at the moment such a mess that I dont have own Ideas.

Maybe I would love to draw / design jewellery but should I search for tutorials and really learn how to draw rings, jewels and so on or just sitting down and draw "something" without really knowing what Im doing?

Same for clothes.

If I should draw with tutorials are they any you can recommend?

English or german, books, videos... it doesnt matter for me.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

2 users agree
12:38 PM, Thursday February 18th 2021
edited at 2:59 PM, Feb 18th 2021

Hello! I think the 50% rule means that 50% of the time you spend drawing you just draw whatever it is you want to draw. If your dream is designing jewelery - do so! If you start following along tutorials that would probably count as focused studying, where your primary concern is learning and be included in the 50% that includes the Draw a box lessons.

edit

To answer your question:

just sitting down and draw "something" without really knowing what Im doing?

Yes, as long as that "something" is something you want to draw!

edit end

Hope that helps!

edited at 2:59 PM, Feb 18th 2021
9:10 AM, Friday February 19th 2021

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

Yes it really helped me (:

0 users agree
8:24 PM, Thursday February 18th 2021

Do fanart, but not normal fanart

find 2 characters you like and merge them if possible put them in a scenario created based on the character

Mechanism:

This works for the same reason that novice writers merge several stories or put characters that are not their own in alien situations for them, it helps your creativity and removes blocks.

Another option would be to brainstorm ideas, objects etc and draw based on this.

If you have artistic block, I recommend you meditate or go for a walk

9:11 AM, Friday February 19th 2021

Hello,

thank you for those tips, I will try them later. (:

0 users agree
11:02 PM, Friday February 19th 2021

In my opinion I think you should do what you want. Reading Lesson 0 in regards to the 50% basically says to draw things you want, even when you lack the skill.

Watching and following tutorials is a good idea (I have been looking at some portrait tutorials), but I would not stress too much. I don't know much about jewllery, but I found some tutorials on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Szw9ki8UAZ4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67A8uRFU920 (she starts at the 1:15 mark)

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
The Art of Brom

The Art of Brom

Here we're getting into the subjective - Gerald Brom is one of my favourite artists (and a pretty fantastic novelist!). That said, if I recommended art books just for the beautiful images contained therein, my list of recommendations would be miles long.

The reason this book is close to my heart is because of its introduction, where Brom goes explains in detail just how he went from being an army brat to one of the most highly respected dark fantasy artists in the world today. I believe that one's work is flavoured by their life's experiences, and discovering the roots from which other artists hail can help give one perspective on their own beginnings, and perhaps their eventual destination as well.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.