Lesson 1: Lines, Ellipses and Boxes

4:44 PM, Thursday June 23rd 2022

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/6xF6ikE.jpg

Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of th...

I have just completed lesson 1 and am handing in all assignments at the same time. The ghosted planes and ellipses in planes are already combined together. The superimposed lines, ghosted lines, and 1 page of ghosted planes/ellipses are done in ballpoint, while the rest of the assignments are done using a Staedtler fineliner 0.5mm.

0 users agree
8:29 AM, Friday July 1st 2022

Hey there, I'm Meta and I'll be your TA today, so let's get started.

Lines

Starting with your superimposed lines, you're doing a pretty good job of lining your pen up with the starting point and keeping these confident. This confidence carries over into your ghosted lines and planes as well for the most part. There is a small amount of wobbling and arcing present there and this section provides some insight into this and how to work towards correcting it.

Ellipses

Next, your tables of ellipses are showing a good level of confidence and it's excellent to see that you're drawing through them the requisite 2-3 times. This continues through your ellipses in planes where your mark-making is not only confident, but often quite accurate in hitting the four sides of the plane without sacrificing that confidence. Finally, your funnels are looking good with most of your ellipses aligned to the minor axis for the most part, with most of the misalignment occuring towards the ends, which is pretty normal. I did like your error checking here as well, because it shows an awareness of what you were aiming for.

Boxes

Your rough perspective exercise is looking pretty good - you've done a good job keeping the horizontals parallel and verticals perpendicular to the horizon line (particularly on the front planes) and you've correctly applied the error checking method. You did seem to have a little trouble with the back planes though, so you may need to spend more time planning out where those lines should go and taking the time execute all of your lines confidently.

Your rotated boxes are off to a good start - you're keeping the gaps between the boxes tight and consistent, which has given you good cues about where to place the next one. You capture most of the range of rotation on the boxes as well, which is quite good considering this exercise is intended as an introduction to certain concepts. One thing I will call out is the haphazard nature of your hatching - if you are going to add this, give each of your lines the time and attention it requires to be confident and clean like the rest of your linework.

Finally, you're getting a good amount of variation in the size and rotation of your boxes in the organic perspective exercise which is starting to create a sense of depth in each frame. The boxes themselves are diverging a bit in places however this exercise is simply an introduction to the concepts you'll explore in depth in the 250 box challenge.

Next Steps:

Feel free to move onto the 250 box challenge

This critique marks this lesson as complete.
5:37 PM, Saturday July 2nd 2022

I'm honestly shocked at how thorough and in-depth your critique is. Thank you very much for putting in the time to review my work.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Faber Castell PITT Artist Pens

Faber Castell PITT Artist Pens

Like the Staedtlers, these also come in a set of multiple weights - the ones we use are F. One useful thing in these sets however (if you can't find the pens individually) is that some of the sets come with a brush pen (the B size). These can be helpful in filling out big black areas.

Still, I'd recommend buying these in person if you can, at a proper art supply store. They'll generally let you buy them individually, and also test them out beforehand to weed out any duds.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.