Lesson 6: Applying Construction to Everyday Objects

8:15 AM, Wednesday October 5th 2022

Lesson 6 - Album on Imgur

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/VDwUn4z.jpg

Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of th...

Heya, thanks for deciding to give feedback ^^

I always had issues with proportions and it's not really within the Draw a Box course to teach but I noticed it being an issue here again, so if you have any tips, I'll be happy to listen :>

Thank you!

2 users agree
8:10 PM, Sunday October 9th 2022

Hello I’ll be handling the critique for your lesson 6 homework.

-Starting with the form intersections, the first thing I want to call out is that your lineweight is pretty far out here, it seems that you made a clean up pass which is not something we want to do as explained here in this section of lesson 2. https://drawabox.com/lesson/2/8/cleanup

When it comes to the intersections themselves I think you are doing a great job, the main thing I want to draw your attention to is the cylinder-box intersection, for which you used some straight lines, while the faces of the cylinder are indeed flat the main body is actually rounded so any line cutting through the cylinder is not going to be a simple straight.

https://i.imgur.com/wLbzz1S.jpeg

Here is an example from the form intersections pinned in the lesson 2 channel in the discord.

Objects

-Moving on to the objects you’re moving in the right direction in many ways.

I can see that you’ve spent a good deal of time planning your constructions and have used the subdivisions a good deal in order to be more precise when it comes to capturing the different elements in your objects.

Regarding your question about proportions the only thing I have to say is that you should not worry to much about it, the main focus of this lesson is precision.

Precision and accuracy are two different things and in the context of this course accuracy refers to how close you were to executing the mark you intended to, but precision has nothing to do with drawing that mark, instead it is about the steps and decisions that we take beforehand to declare our intentions. As long as you make your orthographic studies and apply them to the object in three dimensions is more than enough, while the proportion may be off that is not really a problem.

But if you’re really eager to know how to measure the things you are drawing more meaningfully then you can check the videos on lesson 7 or you can wait till you get to that lesson.

-You are doing a great job capturing the main forms and shapes of your objects, it is when it comes to the smaller and more nuanced details that you tend to really focus more on guesswork. A good example would be the last object which has a lot of organic curves and a very organic shape,, which makes it much harder to draw using the method we are employing here, the best thing to do in these cases is to break those curves into a series of straight lines, you can read more about this in this section of lesson 6 https://drawabox.com/lesson/6/1/curves .

This simplifies the process of construction a good deal and lets you focus more on the smaller details.

For example the buttons on the bottom of your last object are placed mainly by eyeballing and guesswork I don't really see a lot of forethought gone into drawing that specific part, that’s why you should do your best to capture important landmarks in the orthographic studies,like the orto for the bottom part and the side of this object https://i.imgur.com/oBM35eK.jpeg leaves a lot of landmarks loose and this one really deviates from the actual shape of the object. That’s why using straight lines rather than jumping into curves straight away is better as they are much easier to locate than curved lines.

-And lastly remember that in this lesson you’re allowed to make use of various tools like french curves, rulers, ellipse guides and ballpoint pens. I'd recommend you get hold of some of this, which will really help you to get the most out of these exercises.

But for what is worth your work is moving in the right direction so I’ll go ahead and mark this lesson as complete. Good luck on the next one!!

Next Steps:

25 wheel challenge

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete, and 2 others agree. The student has earned their completion badge for this lesson and should feel confident in moving onto the next lesson.
9:38 AM, Monday October 10th 2022

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

And you're totally right about the guesswork. At that point there were so many marks on the paper and I didn't know how to plan those best or I couldn't find a way to sort them in logically so I eyeballed more than I planned at those points. It was definitely a bit of frustration as well.

I will keep in mind your advice, thank you again :>

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
PureRef

PureRef

This is another one of those things that aren't sold through Amazon, so I don't get a commission on it - but it's just too good to leave out. PureRef is a fantastic piece of software that is both Windows and Mac compatible. It's used for collecting reference and compiling them into a moodboard. You can move them around freely, have them automatically arranged, zoom in/out and even scale/flip/rotate images as you please. If needed, you can also add little text notes.

When starting on a project, I'll often open it up and start dragging reference images off the internet onto the board. When I'm done, I'll save out a '.pur' file, which embeds all the images. They can get pretty big, but are way more convenient than hauling around folders full of separate images.

Did I mention you can get it for free? The developer allows you to pay whatever amount you want for it. They recommend $5, but they'll allow you to take it for nothing. Really though, with software this versatile and polished, you really should throw them a few bucks if you pick it up. It's more than worth it.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.