2 users agree
5:31 AM, Friday December 9th 2022

Congratulations on finishing lesson 1!

Lines

Your lines look smooth, and your aim is decent. They are close on one end and fray a bit at the other as they should. The long straight lines arc a bit, so maybe when you do them as warm ups, try to arc them backwards a bit to compensate.

Planes

-The lines connecting the dots look good, including the lines going from corner to corner. The lines cutting the planes in half vertically and horizontally seem a bit off sometimes. When you divide the plane, look at angle of the lines on either side. The angle of the line cutting the plane in half should be somewhere between those two lines. This will come up again later for sure!

It's easier to show what I mean, like so: https://imgur.com/a/jDhEvKT

Ellipses

Overall they look smooth. As you add them to your warmups, keep working on the aim so they touch edges with whatever they need to touch. See if you can slow down a bit without losing the smoothness.

Boxes

Getting there! It's good to see you are remembering to keep up that line quality. There are some diverging lines which should converge. Here is a bit of an analysis, which may help when you do the 250 box challenge (steps 2 and 3 are out of order on imgur, and step 2 is pretty critical to understand, but otherwise it's fine): https://imgur.com/a/HHzeYyF

Next Steps:

Lines: when you do warmups, include long lines, and see if you can clear up the arcing effect by trying to "bend the line backwards" a bit.

Ellipses: when you do warmups, include tables of ellipses. Try to maintain your smoothness, but see if you can slow down just a bit to get the edges to touch more.

Boxes: Warming up with lines for 3-5 min helps boxes go better. On the 250 box challenge, make sure that the lines that need to converge do converge. Currently, some of your boxes have diverging lines, but some do converge. You'll be checking with a ruler, which will help a lot! This will take a while--I personally would do 2 pages (6 boxes per page) in a sitting, and alternated that with 50% rule drawing days. Good luck!

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete, and 2 others agree. The student has earned their completion badge for this lesson and should feel confident in moving onto the next lesson.
10:54 PM, Friday December 9th 2022

Thank you very much! I appreciate the time and effort you've put in order to help me.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
The Art of Blizzard Entertainment

The Art of Blizzard Entertainment

While I have a massive library of non-instructional art books I've collected over the years, there's only a handful that are actually important to me. This is one of them - so much so that I jammed my copy into my overstuffed backpack when flying back from my parents' house just so I could have it at my apartment. My back's been sore for a week.

The reason I hold this book in such high esteem is because of how it puts the relatively new field of game art into perspective, showing how concept art really just started off as crude sketches intended to communicate ideas to storytellers, designers and 3D modelers. How all of this focus on beautiful illustrations is really secondary to the core of a concept artist's job. A real eye-opener.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.