Problem with drawing with my shoulder

2:33 AM, Saturday July 18th 2020

I'm currently in 250 box challenge and I've been noticing that when I must just draw a straight line, it is fine to draw from my shoulder but when I'm trying to draw a line to fit in a box it is extremaly dificul to make it from the shoulder. Can anyone help me?

2 users agree
11:12 AM, Saturday July 18th 2020

Focussed practice, patience and time. That is all that is needed. Make sure you are doing the ghosting bit first. Eventually won't need to do it as much but when learning you do.

11:14 PM, Monday July 20th 2020

So it is normal to feel pain? Because it's painful to me when I try to use my shoulder and I feel like I have to choose between using my shoulder or drawing straight lines.

8:10 AM, Tuesday July 21st 2020

No. But you didn't mention pain. It is difficult yes, but not painful.

See a doctor and/or take a break.

3:37 PM, Tuesday July 21st 2020

I should had mentioned it earlier. Thank you very much.

0 users agree
8:52 PM, Saturday July 18th 2020

Hi,

Are you putting your elbow or wrist on the table?

11:11 PM, Monday July 20th 2020

When I put my elbow on the table I see that I don't use the shoulder so I try not doing it.

2:32 PM, Tuesday July 21st 2020

When you mention "line that fit in a box" you mean the hatching lines? If so, maybe you simply want to try putting points first (like when drawing the box) and with practice removing them.

3:42 PM, Tuesday July 21st 2020

I do put points first, but I feel like I have to choose between hitting a straight line into these points or using my shoulder. I feel like I can't do both when I try to be accurate.

View more comments in this thread
0 users agree
3:00 AM, Friday August 14th 2020

In addition to what others have said, my guess would be that you are more afraid of missing the mark with the lines where you have to be more precise. Therefore, you are taking it more carefully by resorting back to what you would naturally do in that situation. I'd recommend trying one box where you are extra conservative. Notice how you use your arm. Then, try drawing a box where you go full confidence, and don't worry about the lines working perfectly. Feel the difference between those two boxes. You could even try this a few times to get a really good idea. Once you can see the difference, try to find the most practical middle ground that you can muster. I have nothing to back this; it's just an idea. Let me know how it goes.

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Sakura Pigma Microns

Sakura Pigma Microns

A lot of my students use these. The last time I used them was when I was in high school, and at the time I felt that they dried out pretty quickly, though I may have simply been mishandling them. As with all pens, make sure you're capping them when they're not in use, and try not to apply too much pressure. You really only need to be touching the page, not mashing your pen into it.

In terms of line weight, the sizes are pretty weird. 08 corresponds to 0.5mm, which is what I recommend for the drawabox lessons, whereas 05 corresponds to 0.45mm, which is pretty close and can also be used.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.