July Doodles

3:23 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

DaB - July Doodles - Album on Imgur

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/LgRncOM.jpg

Post with 33 views. DaB - July Doodles

Felt like I was a little light this month. I clocked in around 30 hours of drawing, way down from last month. Alot has been going on in my personal life and I think I was battling Artist's block. Which for me was a sign that I am progressing as an artist. The art gods pay a visit from time to time and I was lucky enough to battle them this month.

I did alot of soul searching and meditation on why I am drawing, why I want to become an artist. It was hard, uncomfortable, and at times depressing. Some things I learned along the way.

1.) Stop getting so worried, frustrated with the fundamentals and remember that you love to draw.

2.) Get the more mileage and practice in. That is the only way to get better. Try and get 20 more hours in next month on top of what you put in for July.

3.) Art tutorials are okay but remember to practice and not just watch art videos all day. Set up schedule for "class time" and "practice time". The latter should always take up more time.

4.) Have fun, it will be tedious and hard-work at times. But when I feel that way take a step back and remember that you love drawing.

5.) It is okay to take a break. I took a 3 week break in July to avoid burn out.

Lastly, with some personal things resolved hoping to hit it harder in August and come back ready to go. Thanks to the Dab community for this amazing platform and enjoy my July Doodles!

Alan

0 users agree
9:12 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

Alan,

Thanks so much for posting these sketches and sharing your thoughts. I really needed to hear that cuz I am in a very similar position to you. Thanks for being inspiring. I really needed that today.

Molly

9:34 PM, Saturday August 1st 2020

What are you going through Molly? Maybe we can help/inspire each other. At the very least it may be theraputic to get yout thoughts out.

Alan

8:27 PM, Monday August 17th 2020

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply! I'm much more stable mentally than I was at the begining of the month, but now main issue currently is that I just have so so much to do that I am having a hard time deciding which priorities deserve my attention. Right now it has been less about drawing and I need to find a way to keep some sort of consistency. I have gotten a few ideas about this from a book I just read called Atomic Habits by James Clear and so far some of the things I have read about and been experimenting with are working.

Another stressor has been my university. We will be having all classes online because of covid and so on the 24th I'm going to be adjusting to that and figuring out how to schedule out my life so I can do the things that are important to me. Hope you are doing okay today, I've been meaning to get back to you and I was finally able to find some time to do so.

Talk to you later,

Molly

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Staedtler Pigment Liners

Staedtler Pigment Liners

These are what I use when doing these exercises. They usually run somewhere in the middle of the price/quality range, and are often sold in sets of different line weights - remember that for the Drawabox lessons, we only really use the 0.5s, so try and find sets that sell only one size.

Alternatively, if at all possible, going to an art supply store and buying the pens in person is often better because they'll generally sell them individually and allow you to test them out before you buy (to weed out any duds).

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.