Lesson 1: Lines, Ellipses and Boxes

8:55 PM, Saturday April 2nd 2022

Drawabox Homework: Lesson 1 - Album on Imgur

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/F8wOiJP .jpg

Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of th...

Sorry about the poor quality of some of the pages, I had a bit of trouble with lighting. I did use a ballpoint pen and different coloured felt pens for some of them; I don't have that many resources at the moment :')

Thank you in advance for taking the time to critique the homework!!

3 users agree
10:06 PM, Wednesday April 6th 2022

Hello Abeanberry! I went over your homework and although it is a good attempt I would like to point out a couple of things that you should work on.

Firstly, your lines could be planned better. Try to focus more on confidence instead of accuracy.

Other than that it looks quite good!

Moving forward, in the ellipses exercises your ellipses tend to deform in certain areas. Ellipses must be symmetrical and have the same shape, so the only thing you can change about them is their position and size.

You haven't completed the tables of ellipses since you haven't drawn additional ellipses to fill in rest of the blank space. I will now shortly list a couple of smaller mistakes I've noticed :

• going over ellipses more than 2-3 times

• your ellipses are not consistent, so as a result in the funnels homework they're not going straight through the minor axes.

Last but not least, let's go through your boxes :

-In the first exercise, plotted perspective, hatching faces of the boxes isn't necessary, so since you don't understand which is the front face and haven't done it on all of the boxes you should skip it since your work would look cleaner.

-In the third frame, I can't see that you pulled the lines back to their vanishing point, I'm guessing it's because you did it in pencil so you erased it, but there's no need to, really.

-Another thing to point out in this exercise is that you wanted to add line weight, but you shouldn't do it free hand ( at least not in this exercise)

-Also, in certain places you didn't use a ruler, so try following the instructions more carefully next time.

In the rough perspective exercise width lines should be parallel to horizon and height lines perpendicular to horizon. You were a bit confused about how the box looks in 3d space but there are a couple of rules which can help with that.

-In the third frame you didn't apply line correction method.

Next exercise being rotated boxes looks good, so well done! Only thing I would say here is that you could've pushed lines a bit closer for better accuracy.

Finally, we come to the organic perspective. I think that you could've used the space better by making 3 frames instead of 2. This exercise looks good, but I would suggest using dots instead of just executing lines and getting more confidence with your lines since in the first picture ( where you drew with blue ink ) you drew them by " chicken scratching " which is mentioned in Markmaking-Marks should be continuous and unbroken part of the lesson.

With quite a few mistakes here and there I would recommend doing 1 page of rough perspective to really grasp the content and get it through your hands. I look forward to seeing more and keep up the hard work!

2:04 AM, Saturday April 9th 2022

Thanks for going through the homework and the feedback! Do I post the extra page of Rough Perspective for review as well?

11:17 AM, Saturday April 9th 2022

Yes please, so that I can mark your homework complete. :)

11:22 AM, Saturday April 9th 2022

Also, another thing I would like to add is that I purposefully advised ONE page of revision instead of two. Firstly it's to avoid grinding of course, but another reason is because I really want you to focus on executing each line well. Looking forward to reviewing your work!

12:34 PM, Sunday April 10th 2022

Here is the link to the revised Rough Perspective page: https://imgur.com/a/CrhMDlD

View more comments in this thread
The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
How to Draw by Scott Robertson

How to Draw by Scott Robertson

When it comes to technical drawing, there's no one better than Scott Robertson. I regularly use this book as a reference when eyeballing my perspective just won't cut it anymore. Need to figure out exactly how to rotate an object in 3D space? How to project a shape in perspective? Look no further.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.