Lesson 1: Lines, Ellipses and Boxes

7:39 AM, Monday May 31st 2021

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/eUnyKDw.jpg

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered enterta...

First time actually uploading homework. I've already done 250 cylinder challenge and 250 box challenge before.

Also, these were done digitally.

0 users agree
2:17 PM, Sunday June 20th 2021
edited at 2:20 PM, Jun 20th 2021

Hi,

you've done this digitally? for the superimposed lines it actually looked like you did it on paper and scanned it. so i'll point out something, you will be missing out when you're doing DaB digitally, as drawing it on paper with either a ballpoint pen or a fineliner offers a different experience, keep that in mind! anyways,

for the superimposed lines you've done pretty good as there's no fraying in both ends, and it looks smooth and confident, good job!

ghosted lines had some straight lines, but there are some lines that's a bit wobbly giving a subtle s or c curve, a simple fix for this of course is the ghosting method(tip: whenever applying the ghosting method, and you're about to mark, marking it a bit faster might help! (but not dont mark it too fast as it can throw off what you've ghosted))

now for the ghosted planes it looks pretty good aside from the wobbly lines, remember you should always be prioritizing confidence over accuracy

ellipses,

table of ellipses - there are some mistakes that you did: firstly you should've drawn through it around 2-3 times(preferably 2 times) to give it a neat look, secondly you had a lot of ellipses that's overlapping, you should have made them just touch each other.

for the ghosted planes with ellipses - it seems that you have some planes showing that you just drawn through your ellipses only once or around 4 times.

now for the funnels exercise - you did pretty good maintaining the ellipses to the minor axis.

most of the ellipses that you did looks pretty confident and smooth good job on that!

so boxes,

plotted perspective - not much to say other than good job!

rough perspective - now some of the lines that you did are wobbly and there are also lines that are too thick than the other lines in some boxes, you might've marked a line that you didn't intend to so you tried to correct it, this is known as repeating lines, and it is a bad habit that you should completely avoid, since it makes your mistakes stand out.

rotated boxes - you did pretty good on this one, however, i will point out that you rotated it a bit too much on the bottom left side of the rotated boxes making 1 of your extreme corners barely visible.

organic perspective - you've done pretty good on this one other than the wobbly lines, your spatial reasoning seems to be good but there's still improvement for that and for your wobbly lines

i would suggest that you do superimposed lines and ghosted planes with ellipses exercise for your warm-ups as it can help greatly for every session you do in DaB

Next Steps:

Tackle the 250 box challenge

This community member feels the lesson should be marked as complete. In order for the student to receive their completion badge, this critique will need 2 agreements from other members of the community.
edited at 2:20 PM, Jun 20th 2021
11:52 AM, Thursday June 24th 2021

Hey Skeptic,

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for the critique,

I had actually already done DrawABox before, but only till lesson 3, in which I tackled the 250 box challenge and even the 250 cylinder challenge. However, Since I haven't completed it "officially", I'll go ahead and do it again.

1:08 PM, Thursday June 24th 2021
edited at 1:11 PM, Jun 24th 2021

oh, well you don't really have to redo the 250 box challenge and 250 cylinder challenge again since you can just pick up what you left but sure go ahead, atleast it'll show what you're current ability can do. good luck!

edited at 1:11 PM, Jun 24th 2021
0 users agree
11:01 AM, Tuesday August 16th 2022
edited at 11:03 AM, Aug 16th 2022

EDIT: My bad, I missed the date, you're likely way past this point now.

Did you use the line tool for the Rotated Boxes exercise? It's a good attempt, but the exercise is meant to be freehanded using the ghosting method.

Also in the Rough Perspective exercise, it's better to extend the lines completely until you reach the horizon line. Makes identifying mistakes easier.

Next Steps:

One page of Rotated Boxes using the ghosting method, and two pages of Rough Perspective with the lines fully extended to the horizon line.

When finished, reply to this critique with your revisions.
edited at 11:03 AM, Aug 16th 2022
The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Sakura Pigma Microns

Sakura Pigma Microns

A lot of my students use these. The last time I used them was when I was in high school, and at the time I felt that they dried out pretty quickly, though I may have simply been mishandling them. As with all pens, make sure you're capping them when they're not in use, and try not to apply too much pressure. You really only need to be touching the page, not mashing your pen into it.

In terms of line weight, the sizes are pretty weird. 08 corresponds to 0.5mm, which is what I recommend for the drawabox lessons, whereas 05 corresponds to 0.45mm, which is pretty close and can also be used.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.