Problem with ghosting and lines in general

11:58 PM, Thursday January 7th 2021

I have been trying to utilize the ghosting method now and I have done the homework pages far more than 2 times .I was first drawing with the wrist, as I, in my ignorance thought it wouldn't really be a problem, i corrected myself and went on to start drawing from the shoulder. However I have a new problem now, as all my lines are in the shape of a (slightly, but noticeably) curved "s". I have done pages upon pages of practice yet the form of the lines still hasn't corrected itself. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, how did you correct it? Thanks in advance.

4 users agree
8:19 AM, Friday January 8th 2021

Firstly, don't grind, you'll only hurt yourself in the long term. Secondly, it sounds like you might be arcing your lines. I would strongly suggest you move on and keep progressing. Don't get stuck on perfecting an exercise, especially ghosting lines, when you'll have ample opportunity to practice as you progress.

11:26 PM, Friday January 8th 2021

Thanks! I did exactly that, moved on to the next exercise, and i've been doing pretty well, thanks again!

1 users agree
2:08 PM, Monday January 11th 2021

YES!!

when i started i was very bad at ghosting straight line . my shoulder felt a ton of pain practicing for a perfect straigt line

but then i realised i was thinking too much , let the muscle memory take over the action

i just target the initial and final point then swing my hand back and forth between these points while approaching into the page slowly vola!! a straight line is formed without my conscious

A slight S is way better than zig zag lines i suggest you to move on to next exercise

if you need more practice try charcol on a board it gives more freedom to practice drawing with shoulder

The recommendation below is an advertisement. Most of the links here are part of Amazon's affiliate program (unless otherwise stated), which helps support this website. It's also more than that - it's a hand-picked recommendation of something I've used myself. If you're interested, here is a full list.
Color and Light by James Gurney

Color and Light by James Gurney

Some of you may remember James Gurney's breathtaking work in the Dinotopia series. This is easily my favourite book on the topic of colour and light, and comes highly recommended by any artist worth their salt. While it speaks from the perspective of a traditional painter, the information in this book is invaluable for work in any medium.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about what we do with them, read our privacy policy.